Sunday, December 7, 2008

What do you think?

This morning before church I was searching the paper for all of the great deals to post and I found an article in the Life and Style section called "How to tell kids Santa's haul will be smaller." I read it in hope of being able to put some possitive notes on my blog about this issue. I'm sure this issue faces a lot of us this holiday season. The article talked about having age appropriate converstation's with you child. Which I agree with. My son wants the big spike dino that is $130 - he's not getting it. I told him that it was too much money and he would not get it for Christmas. He then said "that's okay, Santa will bring it." I told him that is was too big of a toy for Santa to make in his workshop. That seemed to help him understand that he really wasn't getting that dino, but we looked at others that he also liked (that were $8 for 2). The article also said what to do with a child that throws a fit at the end of Christmas because they didn't get what they wanted. What would you do? I like to think I have been raising my children to be a little more greatful than that. The article suggests that you take them into another room and let them scream and yell. At the end, hug them and tell them that you are sorry they didn't get everything that they wanted but maybe you could each but in some money and get it in a few months. I'm not sure what I would do, but I don't think I would do that. I don't tell my kids what they are getting, but I gear them in that direction - kind of like with Spike the dinosaur. Anyway, I know this is kind of random, but that article really bothered me.

No big sales like at K-Mart last week. The Ream's ad has a lot of great produce.

Brocolli - $0.59
2lb cello carrots - $0.89
Green bell peppers - 3/$1.00
Cucumbers - 4/$1

That's really all that was in the Sunday paper - hopefully there will be more in theTuesday ads.

2 comments:

  1. Jilli wanted one of those Butterscotch ponies last year. And "Santa" called her and talked with her telling her that he would be unable to bring that but asked her what else she might like. She asked for a Teddy bear with a red shirt and a purple bow.

    And I sat in horror one year at the ward Christmas party as Jona sat on Santa's lap and said that he wanted a laptop for Christmas. At the time we explained to him that Santa didn't deal in electronics and that would be something that would come from his dad and I but that we didn't have the funds for it.

    My kids have never thrown a fit about what they didn't get. And have always been grateful for what they did get. And if my kids did throw a fit I would be packing up all the stuff that they did get and telling them if they couldn't be grateful and appreciative of that stuff then they didn't deserve it. But I'm mean that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, we don't do Santa... I just heard a digusted gasp from many people. But we teach our children about St. Nicholas and how Santa represents the spirit of giving to others. We too often forget that it is Christmas not Santamas. Ask me later the big reason later. We also limit what we give our children and how much we spend. Every year each child gets three new toys (because Christ recieved three gifts), a new outfit and their stocking. We limit what we give so that are children aren't expecting what we can't do. Being consistant with our childrens Christmas will help in the long run. They will be happier. We let the grandparents spoil the kids...
    ~Honey

    ReplyDelete