Sunday, November 16, 2008

The start of The Frugal Fugal

As some of you know I HATE it when people mix my last name - Fugal - up with the word - Frugal. Well, I figured I would embrass the back nickname and use it to my advantage. My family's budget has changed and I have started to do everything that I can to save money. I used to coupon and sale hunt before I had kids and know 4 years later I am back at it again and have had a lot of people ask me about it. I thought I would start this blog to help my friends. I am going to update it at least once a week with a "DEAL OF THE WEEK". For today I will just share some tips I have learned along the way.

1. I use the website http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62
it has a lot of sales posted, but it takes a while to sift through it

2. I shop sales WITH coupons. If you do not get the Sunday paper - share your unused coupons or ask somebody for their coupons that do not use them. Also the above web address will have a lot of online coupons. Most stores DO NOT except printed coupons. Albertson's in the only one I have found that will except them.

3. I keep a coupon book to organize my coupons. It takes a little bit of time but completely worth it in money saved. I use a 3 ring binder filled with baseball card holders. I put the coupons in the slots for the cards. In the back of the binder I keep all of the sale ads.

4. Wal-Mart is really good at price matching - but you have to have the ads to show the clerks.

5. I buy what is on sale and stock up. It is a lot cheaper to buy when something is on sale and have it on hand for later then to need it right away and have to pay double for it. (I buy shampoo and toothpaste when it is free or $0.25 - I have a ton but I get if for super cheap)

6. If you don't use it, don't buy it. No matter how cheap it is (even if it is free you still have to pay sales tax)

7. Use all of your produce from your garden (or your neighbors) - most of it can be frozen or canned. I cut up peppers and freeze them to have them all winter. It is much cheaper then $1.00 per pepper in the winter.

For the moment that is all that I can think of. Most of the sales are post on Tuesday's and start on Wednesday's. I will try to post around then. If anybody sees a great sale that they want to share - please post a comment to share.

Melissa P. told me that there are GREAT prices at the grand opening of the new Smith's Marketplace in Lehi - it is by Micron. She said the milk is $1.00, bread is $0.99 (which can be frozen), cereal for $1.50, fruit snacks for $0.50, and you can probably find some coupons to go with these sales. I have not been - I've only heard about it.

Please post good deals and sales that you see to we can all benifit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment